Tuesday 19 March 2013

That One Time, When I Tried To Shower.

Today, I made a terrible mistake. I tried to have a nice, peaceful, relaxing shower.

I decided to venture to the "downstairs shower", which is down two flights of stairs but actually has a lock on the door. I was quite looking forward to it; the shower by my room might get less traffic than the other one each day, but it is impossible to find a balance between a good temperature and a good pressure. Plus, like I said before, there isn't a lock on the door. I didn't have the patience to be on edge, fearing being walked in on every time I heard a noise.

The first thing I saw was black grime and hairs of various lengths smeared all over the bottom of the bath (which I actually tried to use first, but no water comes out of the taps so it can only be used as a shower. I even tried holding the shower over the bath in an attempt to fill it up, but it didn't work.), so I spent a good five minutes trying to clear it up without losing my lunch. I don't understand how anybody can leave something in that state, let alone if somebody else has to use it after you. Some people have no self respect, and even less respect and consideration for others.

Once the bath was clean and I had given up on trying to fill it up and actually use it as a bath, I connected the shower head back to its stand and tried to find a temperature and pressure I was comfortable with. I stepped under the water and started to wash, but within seconds the water had started to get cold. 

"It's okay", I said to myself. "I can handle a bit of cold water". I kept washing, my head starting to ache because the water had got so cold. After putting shampoo in and lathering it up, I leaned back under the stream. Immediate burn. There is now a scab on my head where the water was so hot it took some skin away. 

And so the cycle continued. My entire shower was bent over backwards (five days before my due date, I might add) so that I could avoid the water actually touching my skin any more than was necessary. Burn. Cold. Trickle. Brain freeze. Burn. Brain freeze. Warm. Trickle. Hot. Cold. Brain freeze. Burn. SOB WITH RAGE. Burn. Brain freeze. Burn.

I'm looking forward to going to hospital, now. I'm going to stay there for as long as I can, and I'm going to take advantage of having a lovely, warm shower that is of a consistent pressure. And then I'm going to heal from giving birth, then start going to the local swimming pool. Hell, I might even start going before I heal. I won't swim, I'll just take long and luxurious showers. Surrounded by a room full of strangers. Because that would be more comfortable than the demonic hell that is showering in this god damn B&B.

Next question: how the hell do I wash a newborn baby in a bathroom like that? Hint: the hot taps don't turn in either bathroom or our bedroom. We have access to cold water, or demon showers. My son is going to hate me.

No comments:

Post a Comment