Wednesday 20 March 2013

The Footstool.

We were laying in bed last night, almost asleep, and I turned to my partner and asked him the same thing I ask myself again and again and again, every single day.

"What are you most looking forward to about having our own house?"

He took a moment to think.

"A footstool", he said.

I wasn't expecting that response. "A footstool?" "Yeah. I want to get home at the end of the day, sprawl out on my couch and put my feet up. A really nice, comfy one, not just something to prop my feet up on. It'll be my footstool. At the end of the day you'll see me coming up the drive, turn to the kids and say "Dad's home. Off his footstool now."

"Oh. We haven't even got a couch. Shouldn't we worry about having a couch first?"

"Yeah. But when we do, I want a footstool."

Fair enough...

Incidentally, I'm looking forward to having a kitchen. To having the space to store food. To having a work surface on which I can cook and create lovely dishes. I miss cooking so much, and I really never thought I would. A dining table. Art work to hang up in the kitchen. A fruit bowl. A sink with hot water. A cupboard full of plates. Pictures on the fridge. A high chair.

To me, the kitchen is the centre of a home. Where the family gather and can feel most relaxed and "together". And to my partner, the focal point of his home is his footstool. And that's okay.

This situation has made us appreciate and long for the most simple of things.
I hope that, whenever we get the life we want, we never lose that gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment